- Avarekalu - 1 cup
- Rice flour - 4 cups
- Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1 tbsp
- Butter Milk - 1/2 cup
- Green Chilly - 2 - 3
- Onion - 1
- Oil, Salt & Water
Avare Kaalu Rotti is prominent in South India especially in Karnataka made from rice flour and studded with Avarekalu. In winter months the market is flooded with Avarekalu, which is also called as Indian filed Beans or Surti Papdi Lilva. People will be negotiating over the tons to get the best price. You can find some yummy recipes of Avarekalu Upama, Avrekaalu Saru/sambaru/curry, Avare Kalu Rotti, Avarekalu Payasa which are very famous in South Karnataka.
Akki Rotti is one more simple dish. It is used on the daily basis in many houses of southern karnataka. Here is one variation of Akki Rotti. This one goes well with ground nut chutney, coconut chutney, sambaar, chicken curry.
- Boil the avarekalu with a pinch of salt.
- Drain and reserve the drained water.
- Chop the onion and green chilly and mix them in a bowl.
- Add rice flour and all the other ingredients and mix it with buttermilk.
- If the mixture is dry, add the reserved water.
- The steadiness should be like soft chapatti dough.
- Now smear this with oil and keep it aside for 15 mins.
- Take a non stick pan, smear your hands with oil, take a small piece of the dough and using your fingers spread it around the pan.
- On a medium, flame cook the Rotti till brown spots appear.
- Smear it with ghee or butter and serve.