- • Sabakki/Nylon Sago – 1 bowl
- • Sugar – 1 bowl
- • Gasagase/white Poppy seeds – 2 Teaspoons
- • Rice – 1 Teaspoon
- • Milk – 1 Bowl (boiled)
- • Cashew – 4 to 5
- • Almond/Badam Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- • Kesar/saffron - 3 to 4
- • Raisin – 9 to 10
- • Ghee – 4 Teaspoons
- • Water
There are many ways to prepare sabakki or sabudana or Nylon Sago Payasa. This sweet recipe has gasagase or white poppy seeds added that gives special taste to the payasa. Very easy to make and less time consuming. I thank my best friend Veda for this Recipe.
- Soak Sabakki/Nylon Sago for 1 – 2 hours in a bowl
- Soak Gasagase/White poppy seed and rice together in another bowl for 2 hours.
- Take a pan and Boil sabakki/Nylon Sago in water.
- Mean time grind white poppy seeds/gasagase, rice and cashew together and make it paste.
- Add the paste to boiling sabakki/Nylon sago. (sabakki should be boiled by now)
- After 5 minutes add milk, Almond/Badam powder and kesar
- Boil it for 5 more minutes.
- Heat Ghee in another pan and add raisins/drakshi
- Add fried raisins to payasa.
- Off the stove. After 5 minutes add sugar and stir it well
- Payasa is ready to serve.
- White poppy seed/Gasagase has to be soaked along with rice and should be grinded together to get the paste.
- Kesar/saffron should be soaked in milk to extract flavour.
- Add sugar after switching off the stove. Sugar melts in the heat of the payasam
Health Benefits : Sabudana/Sabakki is full of starch or carbohydrates and is great for a quick boost of energy. Sago and rice have a cooling effect on the system.
Poppy seeds, this species name, somniferum, literally means sleep inducing. Poppy seeds contain linoleic acid and oleic acid. Linoleic acid protects the heart from many heart diseases and conditions, while oleic acid is known to help in prevention of breast cancer. Calories in poppy seeds is also comparatively less than other spices and herbs.